Quesadillas, Tortillas, Enchiladas, Flautas, Tacos, Fajitas, Burritos… For us people living outside of Mexico (and close countries) it’s SO EFFING DIFFICULT to understand which is what and the differences, we just know that they are all delicious and an awesome drunk food!
So after long hours of research (opening Wikipedia) we found that “A quesadilla is a wheat tortilla or a corn tortilla filled with cheese, a savoury mixture, and/or vegetables, often cooked on a griddle, then folded in half to form a half-moon shape.”
Let’s make a rapid check: tortilla YES, cheese YES, savoury mixture and/or vegetables YES, cooked on a griddle YES, folded in half YES! So it looks like we have a quesadilla on our hands. Please don’t say we’re wrooooong…
Inside this particular quesadilla there’s a bit of chicken, marinated first, and there is spinach, which everybody knows is good everywhere! And there is cheese and some other cheese and a lot of sriracha. More sriracha please! The flames coming out of my mouth are still not high enough!!
…Just a lil more? No? Ooook…
So, this dish came together pretty fast, and it would have been faster if we had some leftover chicken. The fillings and toppings and spices possibilities are just limitless! It also got eaten pretty fast, and it would have been faster if it was not so fucking hot. Temperature hot, to be clear. More sriracha anyone?
Chicken & Spinach Quesadilla
Listen to: Hellyeah – Sangre por sangre
Drink: Corona Beer – Yeah sounds too easy, but the fresh taste is perfect!
- 1 chicken breast (or any other cut of chicken),
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tortillas (we used a spinach flavoured tortilla for the best results, that’s why it’s green, but a regular one is ok!)
- 1 + 1/2 cup fresh baby spinach (you can also use frozen, thawed)
- 3 tbs parmesan
- 2 slices of cheddar cheese
- 2 tbs greek yogurt
- olive oil, salt and pepper, sriracha (or paprika, or your fave hot condiment)
- Put the chicken, lemon juice, garlic (press it with the knife but don’t mince it), 1 tbs of oil, salt and pepper in a ziplock bag and let sit for at least 30 minutes. The longer the better (hehe) so if you’ve got an hour that’s better! Make sure the chicken is well coated with everything
- In a pan heat 1 tsp of oil and sauté the chicken until cooked (around 3 minutes for each side on medium-high flame, depending on the size of your chunks). Btw keep the garlic for later
- Remove the chicken from the pan and cut it in thin slices, be careful not to burn yourself!
- Remember the garlic clove? Now you can mince it! 3… 2… 1… go!!
- Do you have some juices left in the pan from the chicken? Good, put the spinach in with the garlic and cook them, superyummy veggies!
- There’s nothing left in the pan? Heat some oil and cook the spinach with the garlic, still yummy, don’t worry
- Now remove the spinach from the heat and mix them with the yogurt, parmesan, salt, pepper and sriracha (adjust to your taste)
- Grab a tortilla and on half of it put half of your fillings, add a cheddar slice, fold it in two
- Cook the tortilla on both side on a non-stick frying pan, until the cheddar melts and the tortilla is a bit crispy
- Serve it hot, cut in half, with additional greek yogurt and/or sriracha on top
Now for the final touches:
- Calories: 420 each, more or less
- Fridge: keep the fillings separated and put together the quesadilla when it’s meal time! They keep 2 days max
- Freezable: probably…
- Next day: see “Fridge” 😀
- Cold: not bad, but the cheese sets
- Hot: best way to have them! All that melted goodness…
- Re-heating: don’t wait too long from the making to the heating/eating, or the tortilla will become mushy!